The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports that the fire started Saturday morning and caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.
Waterloo Battalion Chief Mike Jenn says residents won’t be able to return to the home for some time. Jenn says the candles were left unattended, and the flames jumped to nearby furnishings. The fire then spread into the attic.
The fire started about 6:30 a.m.
Joseph Warren, a neighbor, says his friend and his friend’s mother live together in the home. Both escaped without injury.